Old February 6th, 2006, 03:50 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises

Default MSC Opera Review (GGC2006)

I think I already covered the breakfast buffet yesterday, so if there's
anything else, just ask.

On the lunch buffet some salads came dressed others not. I particularly
liked the one with tuna and tomatoes. Only salads I can remember seeing at
dinner came dressed just as the entrees came sauced. I don't think it would
be a big deal to ask for that to be changed though. The green salads on the
buffet weren't dressed, but since I didn't have any I didn't pay too much
attention to what dressings were available.

Yes there was a bread basket on the table in the dining room. Different
contents each night.

Tables were of varied size. Roland already described his table, also at
early seating was a medium sized table with Erm & Bill, Jean & Ed, Barbara &
Cotton. Mary, Cecil and I were seated at a table intended for four. I prefer
a larger table. Our group also had a table at late seating. Pat & Cal were
there along with Joyce & Rusty (friends of theirs), Delma & Harry, and
Lloyd. Although that was neither my assigned time or table, I ate with them
most nights, while still spending some time at the early seating too. I
thought the waiters were great... but my requirements might be different
than some other people's.

I would describe the decor as "understated", a big plus for me. Some spaces
were "intimate" in size, some of those were generously mirrored. Of interest
along those lines... inside cabins had a large mirror over the bed instead
of the more usual curtain mimicking a window. There was another mirror over
the desk and a full length one on another wall. That all helped make the
space appear larger than it might have otherwise seem. There were lots of
mirrors and marble in and near the elevators. Nice touch.

Things were done (generally) in five languages.

Yes there were pool activities, Lloyd mentioned that even he got involved in
them. There was the most amusing game of musical chairs I've ever seenVBG.

Liquor can still be purchased on board and taken back to the cabin although
that policy isn't in writing anywhere. The gift shops have more logo items
than they did the last time I cruised with MSC although they are all general
MSC Crociere rather than specific ships. A simple baseball cap cost $4.80 (I
got one to keep my hair out of my mouth and eyes) and a polo shirt $13 until
the last day when they were 3 for something a bit less. I had already
purchased one and didn't need/want three, so I didn't feel too badly about
that. The Italian clothing is expensive and I don't know that they sell too
much of it. They have a perfume shop and a jewelry store too along with the
clothing and duty free shops.

Marsha

"Tom K" wrote in message
How about more details on things like food. What was in the breakfast and
lunch buffets? Omelet station? Pancakes & Waffles? How about lunch?
What kinds of appetizers and main meals for dinner. Did salads come with
dressing, or did they have a dressing plate? Size of dinner tables. Who
sat with who? Were the waiters good? Bread on the tables of served from
a basket?

Please explain the smoking in a food like.

What did the ship look like? We need some Ben Smith type observations.
Whimsical? Classical? Art Deco? Color combinations. Use of marble,
etc.

What kind of activities? Pool games? Bingo in 30 languages?

We've been to San Juan 30 times... nothing new there. But the ship is new
for most of us. Give some details. Tell us about the MSC experience.
What you liked. What you didn't like.

--Tom