Old August 26th, 2005, 10:26 PM
Jan

Frank Slootweg wrote:
Jan wrote:
Frank Slootweg wrote:
Rubber Ducky wrote:

"Mr Pirate Fun" wrote in message
oups.com...
$100,000 should take care of Flight, Rail, Car, Visas, Taxes,
Medical, Insurance, Sight Seeing, 2-3 Star Hotel, Entertainment,
Food.

Its a guess.

I appreciate it's not going to be cheap but please read the post I
specified ? not $!!

No, you did *not* specify pounds. You typed some silly character
and your silly newsreader didn't use the required character set
encoding, not in (the Subject: of) your OP, nor in (the body of)
your response [1].

Honestly some people!

Indeed!

[deleted]

[1] I don't expect my newsreader to fix (the Subject:/quoting of) a
broken posting, but you never know.

Not taking sides here, and I know one should be able to convert $$$-
be they US or Aus- to ???
But....erm..... The original subject header did show ??? :-)

No, that's the whole point, it did *not* 'show' pounds. It 'showed' a
non-ASCII character, hex A3. Because it was not encoded (as it
*should* have been), its interpretation was undefined. *If* ones
character set was set to ISO 8859/1, it would come out as a pound
symbol, but it's rather unrealistic to expect such a setting,
especially when posting to international groups, like the OP did.

In short: The OP had:

Subject: How much (£) should i budget for this trip?

^ unencoded hex A3 character

but it should have had:

Subject:
=?iso-8859-1?q?_How_much_(=A3)_should_i_budget_for_this_tr ip=3F?=

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ ^^^

as some of the responses had. And it should have had:

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

as some of the responses had, but it didn't.

It's kind of funny/sad when people post a posting like this, i.e.
about a trip to many other countries, and expect people to adapt to
*your* currency, while you do *not* adapt to other character sets.

Hi Frank I'm not technically minded. The Op post appeared on my computer
complete with "pound" signs.
Which is what I said in my reply where indeed ,it does read on my computer
as "pounds". However on your reply, my pound sign reads as question
marks.

Jan