Old September 19th, 2003, 01:53 PM
PTRAVEL

Default Tokyo with a Very Young Child

"Gerry Scott-Moore" wrote in message
d...
In article , PTRAVEL
wrote:

I think you need to find somebody to beat up on that is talking
about the same thing.

If I've confused you with the OP, my apologies.

Actually I think I have too with another post upstream.

And in any case the seminal few posts were at cross-purposes. My view
is that bookending seats with a spouse is just fine. If someone
actually gets plunked down in between, one or other can shift over as
the needs demand. This is unrelated to infants.

I don't have any problem at all with bookending spouses -- I've done the
same thing on occassion, and it's always worked out. Worst that happened
was one of us would switch seats with the bookended stranger and all were
happy.

The idea of a ceaselessly shuffled infant between two seats, on either
side OR in the same 3-seat row both sounds like a nightmare
prescription. But then there are many such situations you could never
guess about.

It happened to me once on Cathay Pacific. I objected, long and loud, and
told them I would not sit in a row that had more people than seats.
Apparently, they found that argument convincing enough -- Cathay's solution
was an upgrade to business class once we took off.

While everybody finally managed to go to sleep on my last flight to
Japan, there was a Thai couple, very much country folk, that were were
screaming at each other, very shrill, every 15-20 minutes or so. Waking
me repeatedly. Apparently I was the only one that could hear it and
they were two rows back and across the aisle. I even asked a
stewardess to shut them up, and she gave them the one-size-fits-all
request and then evaporated.

There's one I couldn't have guessed. Noice cancelling head-sets are
beginning to look interesting.

I'm on my third pair of noise cancellers. The problem with NC phones is
that, though they were very well on repetitive, low-frequency noise, e.g.
the roar of the jets and the rush of the air against the hull, they don't
attenuate sound in the frequencies of human speech (or baby crying). In
fact, they almost make it worse as they eliminate the white noise which
normally could cover it a bit. However, I use mine with a good headphone
amplifier and an MP3 player; listening to music at the
not-so-loud-that-it's-painful-but-still-fills-your-head level helps block
out almost everything.

--
///---