Old May 30th, 2006, 04:26 PM posted to rec.travel.europe

Default Ljubljana (Was: Saudi Arabia opens its doors to tourists)

David Horne, _the_ chancellor of the duchy of besses o' th' barn and
prestwich tesco 24h offy wrote:

Any particular recommendations? (I'll do some research, natch.)

I heard nice things about Gostilna Skaručna (Skarucna Inn) just outside
Ljubljana. It's traditional cuisine with an interesting approach. You
are advised to arrive no later than 6pm (reservations I hear are a must)
to appreciate the whole set of dishes. Quite a friendly atmosphere,
people say.

Maybe consider taking a Taxi there and back (as opposed to your
own/rented car). My friend said he's been offered two shots of local
brandy while paying the bill (the owner joined them on the second).

They don't have much on the web, a picture from one review (a bit old,
from 2000 and in Slovenian only) is at

http://www.mladina.si/projekti/konzum/lokal/1494/

Address is:

Gostilna Skaručna
Skaručna 20 pod *marno goro
Vodice
Phone: +386 1 832 30 80

If you want to stay in the city, you can try Sokol (almost) next to the
Town Hall. They brew their own beer also. For quick snacks during the
day you might want to check Tomato (*ubičeva 1 right in the centre) for
sandwiches, salads, hamburgers and so on.

If you have a car and have time to drive some 30-40 minutes to Velike
Lašče, I recommend Pri Kuklju (phone: +386 1 788 90 98). Velike Lašče is
in direction of Kočevje and the Inn is impossible to miss - it's on top
of the hill right by the road.

Gorazd