Old January 26th, 2007, 05:51 AM posted to rec.travel.africa
[email protected]

Default Travel from northern Uganda to southern Sudan

Good luck.

Unless there's someone in the NG with experience in this specific
region/conflict, I'd advise you to identify some of the NGOs, UN
agencies, relief charities (+ missionaries) and media organisations in
the area (both sides of the border), then try to get a referral
internally within those organisations to someone who is now or has been
recently on the ground (don't listen to an office bureaucrat in DC or
NYC). Photojournalists are excellent advisors in this regard (and make
for interesting travel companions).

Otherwise, if you have sufficient time to go to Uganda and begin asking
around, being patient, befriending locals and essentially doing the
same thing I advise above but there on the ground in person, then you
stand a fair chance of being able to make it work. Right now, the major
conflict is more or less on hold from what I understand.

If something bad happens, you're most likely to get robbed or taken
hostage for ransom, from what I know of these kind of conflict zones
(banditry being more a threat than armies or militias), so you really,
really need local guidance and protection. Buy good insurance (!) and
have a backup plan in case you end up robbed blind and dumped in the
Sahel. Make sure you let the embassies know you're in the country and
what your route will be. Keep ID separate from your wallet and
passport, etc., etc.

Maybe I'm trying to advise a seasoned hand -- have you travelled
through any other conflict zones before?

Kurt

----

http://afrikatourism.blogspot.com