Old August 23rd, 2008, 06:50 PM posted to rec.travel.air
David Horne, _the_ chancellor[_2_]

Default Purchase Virgin Train tickets online from US address?

mrtravel wrote:

S Viemeister wrote:
wrote:

On Aug 22, 3:38 pm, AES wrote:

Anyone know how to purchase Virgin Train tickets (London-Holyhead)
online from a U.S. location?

When I try to do so on any of Virgin Train's ".uk" URLs, the "Address"
portion of the registration and booking page stays stubbornly greyed
out, and won't let me complete the registration or the booking.

They are for me too, from a UK site. So I think this has nothing to do
with you being in the US.

You could try booking through:

http://nationalrail.co.uk/

I don't know if they require the buyer to be in the UK though. I also
sometimes find that they are a little more expensive that going direct
to the provider (Virgin Trains in your case).

Hm, seems like a bug - you might want to let Virgin Trains webmaster
know?

I ran into a similar problem this Spring - I'd always been able to book
online, but found that this time I had to phone. I checked everything
online, so was able to book fairly quickly, which kept the long-distance
cost to a minimum.

Yep, I know what you mean. My carrier, Packet8, would charge me 3 cents
per minute.

Even for an 0845/0870 number? Most US low-cost phone companies charge
extra for them- usually mobile rates. I don't think Virgin offer
landline alternatives...

That said, 3 cents seems a bit expensive for calling a UK landline from
the US. I pay just under 1 cent (1p) the other pay around.

--
(*) of the royal duchy of city south and deansgate -www.davidhorne.net
(email address on website) "If people think God is interesting, the