Old March 1st, 2010, 07:48 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Brian K[_2_]

Default Cape Liberty

Bill plucked Senior Frog's Magic Twanger and said On 3/1/2010 12:57 AM:
On 2/28/2010 11:26 PM, Sue Mullen wrote:

I just asked Kevin and we both are pretty sure there was a shuttle from
the parking lot to the check in terminal and another shuttle to the
ship. The parking was easy walking distance, but they did have a
shuttle.

I would not be surprised if there is a shuttle since not everyone can
walk to their cars with their luggage (or has someone who can wait at
the terminal with it) and there is probably further away parking than
the 3-5 that most of us have parked at. I remember when we are on the
Liberty pre-inaugural, they had us park all the way down near where
the ship docked, so when we got off the ship we were able to walk
right to our car, instead of having to take the bus back to the
terminal. That was great!

Bill

I know that the hotel issue has been discussed, so I know that Anne
doesn't need a hotel. I am mentioning this for future reference. Last
year, I had a red eye flight to Seattle, WA out of Newark Liberty. I
investigated hotels near the airport. I did not find any with indoor
parking. There may be some further out but in the airport vicinity
there weren't any. As a whole, anything under $75.00 a night was a
dump. There are several chain hotels along Rts 1 & 9 with the rear of
the hotels along a railroad track. The better ones have security
cameras that work, but just the same always check to see that they
haven't been vandalized. Long term parking at these hotels varies in
location.

Here are a few I checked out:

Courtyard Newark Liberty International Airport

Located on Rt 1 & 9, acting like a guest, I told the front desk I was
interested in staying there and might I see a room. I was shown a room
in the front of the hotel facing the highway and airport. I shut the
door. They didn't do such a good job soundproofing. You could hear the
highway traffic and jets taking off. There is park and fly parking but
it is not free.

Best Western Newark Airport West

I wasn't able to check to see how soundproof the rooms are, but they do
have a long term parking deal. The hotel looks shopworn on the outside,
the help is rude...I think Snookie and The Situation were working the
front desk (Mtv's Jersey Shore). I asked a guest who was checking out.
They said that the hallways looked creepy, but the rooms were clean and
spacious.

Hilton Newark Airport

I looked at this hotel once before in 2001 when I was flying to Cancun.
Back then it was very shopworn looking. It hardly resembled a Hilton at
all. On this visit, it had cleaned up really well and there were signs
of improvements in the staff as well. I got to see a room, and the
noise level was really low. I did not find any evidence of long term
parking.

Elizabeth Knights Inn - Newark Airport

Avoid at all costs unless you are planning an extramarital affair, sex
party or wish to engage one of the on site whores.

Econo Lodge Newark Intl Airport

The rooms they let me see smelled like a mixture of cheap air freshener,
moth balls and like someone died there. I could only recommend this dive
if you were stranded at the airport and didn't want to sleep in the
airport constantly being awakened by airport security. I felt a strong
need to bathe in flea powder after touring this one.

Country Inn & Suites Newark Airport

Parking is at a premium but there is long term parking. I did not get
to check any of the rooms. I stood outside and asked a few guests who
had checked out. I got mixed reviews. One couple complained that the
walls are paper thin and you can hear what's going on in the next room.
Another couple were very satisfied and said that the hotel was a good
choice for the price. Soundproofing was fairly good.

Hampton Inn Newark-Airport
Not only did they let me see some hotel rooms, but since I was there in
the morning I was invited to sample the free breakfast offered to
guests. It's nothing like you would get at a prime B & B but isn't bad
either. There is no on site restaurant. Guest are provided with
take-out delivery menus from nearby restaurants and fast food places.
Parking is free and there is a free airport shuttle. I couldn't learn
anything about long term parking.

However on rout 1 & 9 across from the airport there are several budget
long term parking lots with parking garages and free shuttles to the
airport and cruise terminals. Some lots charge as much as $17.00 per
day for indoor parking.

Park 2 Go.com offers free shuttles to airport and/or cruise port, help
with luggage, senior and various discounts, rates are $11.00 per day
with $70.00 for 7 days. Discounts offered are $1.00 per day. (Prices
bound to change from 2009 rates).

--
________
Brian M. Kochera