Old June 18th, 2008, 06:06 PM posted to rec.travel.air,rec.travel.africa,rec.travel.europe
John Kulp

Default Brussels & Ethiopian Airlines work together

On Wed, 18 Jun 2008 10:09:06 -0500, "TMOliver"
wrote:

"John Kulp" wrote...

You were in ASA huh?

No, just passing through, courtesy of the days when the Defense Department
had flights to nearly everywhere, and the Navy would save buying a
commercial ticket by filling empty seats. Sometimes, it might take several
days to get to a destination. Occasionally, you might not get there at all.

Interesting. I was in ASA and had several friends who were stationed
in Asmara, who were the only ones that I have ever heard before you
that ever went there,

The US had a COMMSTA in Asmara, an ear listening to a part of the world hard
to hear otherwise, and heard less well today than even then. The one in
Morocco was reputed to be far nicer and in more civilized surroundings,
unlike Asmara where the rural locals carried rather nasty spears, since
upgraded to AK47s.

There were a number of ASA stations, including embassies, that were a
lot nicer than Asmara, but, then, nature determines the ionospheric
bounces.