Old October 30th, 2010, 07:38 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Jean O'Boyle[_3_]

Default European Officials Broadly Criticize U.S. Airport Security Methods

"Earl Evleth" wrote in message

I had to handle passport registration for my wife's British Airway
flight to the USA and back. She has a US passport (and French)
so usually has no visa hassles. I registered the required information
twice into a BOA web site (an e-mail requested information) and
each time I logged back on they still did not have it.

The US has a visa waiver policy with most European countries,
as those countries have with the US. It is reciprocal. But
recently the US changed the rules requiring pre-flight information
and a special form be filed via the internet. The European
countries don't hae such a requirement, so the situation is
no loner authentically reciprocal. American egocentric exceptionalism
is always doing this kind of thing.

Why Earl...you sound just like Obama! No wonder some Europeans are so
enamored of him! They love to bash the US, too!
But as you will see next Tuesday, how long that love affair with Obama has
lasted. People who were so gullible during the last election finally are
seeing the "real Obama!" Yesterday, when I voted at an early voting site,
the parking lot was full with cars lined up along the highway, waiting to
get a parking place in order to vote. And this was EARLY voting...Wait until
election day on Nov. 2nd! Lines inside the building were very long...I
counted four wheel-chaired people in line ahead of us. People are really
turning out for this election! A president who deliberately goes against
the will of 70% of the people in the country by passing unwanted legislation
is not popular, believe me! His rating has gone below President Bush's now
and he has only been president for not quite two years compared to Bush's
eight years! Funny how people not even living here think they know what is
really happening in the USA.

As for security...what happened yesterday with those flights containing
"packages" from Yemen might just put a different slant on all this
criticism...I know...they were commercial transports, although one did deal
with a passenger flight from the Emirates. Kudos and a big thank you to
those in Saudi Arabia for the alerts and the ones at the airport in England!

I will gladly take off my shoes for my (and other's) safety! Things change,
Earl, and it is not up the airlines whose primary interest is profit, but
for the Airport Security Officials to determine. They see what is happening
behind the scene...we aren't privy to it all or we probably would hesitate
about flying...period...The first time a plane goes down, it is people like
you will yell the loudest!

By the way, pre-flight information online is required by each airline that I
use...no problem for me and I fly often....in country and international.

--Jean