Old April 1st, 2004, 11:51 PM
Donna Evleth

Default Chirac and Bush share Nobel peace prize

Dans l'article ,
a écrit :

In article ,
(Earl
Evleth) wrote:

1999 : la radio BBC 4 affirme à ses auditeurs que
l'hymne national anglais "God save the Queen"
va être prochainement remplacé par un chant européen
en allemand. Des milliers d'auditeurs appellent
l'antenne, scandalisés.

Probably the best ones ever in Britain were the famous TV "spaghetti
trees" news bulletin on the plight of pasta farmers, and the Guardian
newspaper's supplement on the island nation of San Seriffe (think:
typography). I also fondly remember a Financial Times revelation that
cricket was invented by the ancient Greeks, a successful April Fool
because it was played entirely straight.

In recent years they seem to have become less common. Or maybe the world i
s weirder and I just can't identify them so easily. The Times today has a
BMW ad that I'm fairly sure is a spoof, but nothing I could see in
editorial.

I have a favorite French game show which is basically anagrams. Nine
letters are put up on a board, the contestant who makes the longest word
from the random nine letters is the winner. Generally it is difficult to
make a word using all nine letters, one usually settles for 6 or 7, eight if
one is doing well. Today the first two "random" selections began with Z, a
very difficult letter, and in the end, they came out as real nine-letter
words, albeit exotic. Neither of the contestants got these nine letter
words, but after the second one, they got the message: "Poisson d'avril!"
"April fool!"

Donna Evleth