Old January 4th, 2010, 02:41 AM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz
[email protected]

Default Car Hire in Australia: need for SLI?

[Default] On Sun, 03 Jan 2010 16:00:14 GMT, "neverwas"
offered the following words of wisdom:

almostbob wrote:
gravel roads, road trains, roos, completely different to what most
tourists have encountered b4, high likelihood of glass damage
but still more like buying the car again $230/week
$33/day isnt bad, for the rental co

Fair point (although I am not sure why road trains are a bigger risk
than French artics tail-gating me at 110 kph in the rain on the
autoroute). But damage to the car from gravel* etc are all covered by
the policies I am looking at. The main issue I have is whether or not
to include the SLI.

Having spent a fair amount of time driving around the UK I must say
that one of the biggest mistakes you could make is expecting the
roading standards in OZ to be like those you're used to in the UK.

To put it another way, I live in New Zealand and I always get SLI
whenever I rent a car in either NZ or OZ because I'd rather pay the
extra premium for "peace of mind" than get a nasty surprise on my
credit card.