Old January 4th, 2010, 10:39 PM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz
neverwas

Default Car Hire in Australia: need for SLI?

I hope this helps.
Not sure of the exact coverage but I doubt if many Australians take
out extra insurance of the kind you are thinking about.
Perhaps you could check out the web pages of the various licensing
authorities.

yes, thanks. But sadly Wikipedia doesn't give figures so it looks as if
I'll be off to look for those state by state. I put it that way 'cos in
some US States there are similar requirements for 3rd party liability
cover but the sum assured can be as low as USD 15,000. The impression
I'm getting is that Oz is more regulated than that but it'd be nice to
be sure.