Old July 21st, 2012, 10:51 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
tim....

Default International driving licence?

"Anonymous" wrote in message
.. .
(Mark Brader) wrote:

Terry Pinnell:
Before my last trip to the USA I obtained an international driving
licence, thinking I'd need it for car hire.

Since the so-called international license is just a translation of
your own license into other languages, you were mistaken.

You're confusing the fake international licenses with the official
ones. The fake international licenses are merely translations.
They're somewhat of a scam, because a translation just makes the text
readable, it doesn't give any driving privileges.

An official international license enables one state to verify the
authenticity of a document from another state. Similar to an
apostille for birth certificates. It actually has little to do with
language.

Consider this: A cop pulls you over in the US, and you show him your
Polish drivers license. How is a US cop supposed to have any idea
what a Polish drivers license looks like?

It looks exactly like a UK license (Except that it has PL where mine says
"UK").

Or are you suggesting that US traffic police don't know what UK licenses
look like?

tim