Old July 22nd, 2012, 01:02 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Neville MADDEN

Default International driving licence?

Or are you suggesting that US traffic police don't know what UK
licenses look like?

Indeed. Or that of any other foreign country with a reciprocal
driving agreement.

Er umm..I had the misfortune to cut off a cop car in Houston Tx while
lane changing. They didn't appreciate it and when they pulled me over
asked for my licence. Produced a Queensland, Australia one...WTF because
of the State Logo on the plastic cover they couldn't understand what was
on it. Then the Aussie accent really had them.

Their response..."get in your vehicle and get out of our jurisdiction as
fast as you can drive"

Most of the responses re Internation Licences are correct....a genuine
one issued by a recognized automobile association only says in about 15
different languages that you hold a current drivers licence. It has no
legal standing what-ever.

Neville
Queensland
Australia