Old April 22nd, 2004, 02:12 AM
Jim Battista

Default Taxes in Canada and USA

(H J Angus) wrote in
om:

I will be spending a few days in Canada and the USA.
Need some general info on the taxes payable in the 2 countries.

Specific areas of travel are Ontario, Nova Scotia, Pennsylvania,
New York City, Virginia, Washington.

Taxes related to hotels, food and transport cannot be avoided.
If you are going to spend money on clothing,gifts and
entertainment, where would you get the best value for money in
terms of overall price to be paid?

Sales taxes will generally be slightly lower in any of the states you
list than in Ontario or Nova Scotia (even if you get your confederal
7% back).

Which place has the best values will vary depending on what you want
to buy, your proximity to major metro areas, and your exchanges rates
with USD and CAD.

Assuming you're buying in big enough bundles to get your GST back in
Canada, I wouldn't worry about it. It's not likely to be a big
difference anyway.

--
Jim Battista
A noble spirit embiggens the smallest man.