Old December 28th, 2003, 04:11 AM
Bill

Default AMTRAK

"127.0.0.1" wrote in message
news
On Mon, 15 Dec 2003 22:53:43 -0500, "Bill" wrote:

"127.0.0.1" wrote in message
.. .
On Mon, 15 Dec 2003 18:20:28 GMT, Rita
wrote:

Especially in New York City. One can't imagine what the city would be
like without it. Imagine if everyone attempted to drive a car to work

and
then park it.

people who live 20-50-80 miles away are tolled and taxed to provide
that mass transit in NYC, I rarely go into to NYC, and you can be sure
that my region is not served by NYC transit so why should I support
their mass transit?

Because if you're within 80 miles of NYC, your local economy depends on a
healthy NYC, and that depends on mass transit.

that's a bunch of BS, our area has nothing to do with nyc's economy.
according to census data less than 12% of the population here commutes
to NYC

You obviously don't understand economics. NYC's economic region is much
wider than NYC. Without NYC, the surrounding areas would have much, much
smaller economies. How many people commute to areas outside of NYC which
depend on the NYC regional economic engine? How many people from that area
(assuming you are outside of that area) come to your area to recreate,
purchase property, frequent businesses?

I live 150 miles from NYC. However I appreciate the influence that NYC has
on the economy of my region. And I'm happy to pay a few pennies of my gas
or other taxes to help the NYC region have a functioning mass transit system
without which many more of them would want to move up here.