Old October 4th, 2008, 03:53 PM posted to aus.comms.mobile,rec.travel.australia+nz
Frank Slootweg

Default (Telstra) Wireless Broadband USB Modem under Linux?

[aus.computers.linux not added this time, because this is rather
off-topic for that group.]

Gerrit wrote:

"Frank Slootweg" wrote in message
b.home.nl...

Has anyone any idea whether or not the Telstra Wireless Broadband USB
Modem will work on a Linux system?

Frank

If you are doing your usual thing and hiring a 4WD the question I would have
to ask of you is this. Is it worth even thinking about a wireless connection
seeing as you will be out of range most of the time?
If you are desperate to be connected then I would think about a satellite
dish. But that would be big bucks.

Where will you be going this time?

Gerrit,

Thanks for your concern/warning.

I understand - also from looking at (Telstra's) coverage charts - that
3G/NextG/UMTS/whatever coverage in rural/outback areas is much, much
better than GSM coverage. GSM (i.e. GPRS) coverage would indeed be
rather useless.

We will be going basically 'everywhere', especially unsealed roads/
tracks in rural/outback areas in (SA,) NSW, QLD, NT and WA.

We have no real 'need' to be connected, but I'd like to try what's
it's like to have a laptop/mini-notebook with us. I always stayed
cleared from much technology on our trips, only GPS, EPIRB and GSM
mobile. But with these sexy mini-notebooks, I could no longer control
myself. I'm only human, you know! :-)

Frank