Old November 25th, 2007, 08:01 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Jochen Kriegerowski[_2_]

Default Travel With The Right Type Of Car GPS

"sharx35" schrieb

Well, *I* have been to hundreds of difference cities and NEVER got lost,
using PAPER maps.

Same here - but I don't deny that GPS *can* save some time, albeit the
time you need to pull out of traffic, stop a the curb and look at the map
in an unfamiliar city.

But I also came across a 'wrong type of car GPS' in a rental BMW 320
some time ago: First, operating that thing with the "iDrive". Try it without
studying the maual for two days - you'll change the radio station, set
the climate control to a very unpleasant temperature, see the fuel con-
sumption during the past 4638 kilometres... and finally find the GPS
menu. After a while you even manage to enter your destination! When
the system alerts you, you happily follow the new directions to navigate
around that traffic jam on the Autobahn (did I mention that you probably
hadn't been able to set the radio back to the original station?). After
30 minutes on scenic, winding country roads you are gradually steered
back to the Autobahn and.... Well, you really didn't want to miss this
traffic jam, did you? After all, now you have enough time to study the
manual. Perhaps you even find out how to set the cruise control! ;-)

A GPS (like anything else) on a rental car has to be operable as intuitive
as the brake pedal or the seat adjustment. A fancy 'User Interface'
might be something to impress your neighbours, but I prefer being able
to operate a car without having to read a 300 page handbook first
when I only have it for a couple of days.

Jochen