Old September 7th, 2004, 04:35 PM
Rita Daggett

"andrew" wrote in message
I would like to go on my first safari.

I am quite an experienced traveller but will only have two weeks available

&
like a bit of home comfort. Having said that I love camping in the UK & so
the idea of a tented camp is quite attractive. I will be travelling with

my
in laws who are fit but in their sixties.

I really have an open mind but I am trending towards Kenya as it seems to
tick most of the boxes & offer good value for money.

I like my home comforts too, but as someone else has said, the permanent
tented camps are really quite luxurious, but do give you more of a feeling
of 'being in the wild' than some of the lodges.
Probably Kenya is a good place for a first safari, but you might like to
look at Zambia or Botswana instead (tending to be more expensive; but
smaller lodges).
Kenya (or Tanzania) probably gives the 'safari experience' you expect from
TV documentaries about Africa - the rolling plains and the large herds of
herbivores.
Distances between places can be quite large and roads not too good and
vehicles not to comfortable, so my advice would be to make sure you stay at
least two nights at each place (I prefer a minimum of 3 ) and consider doing
all or part of the trip by air rather than road, if you can. If you do go
mainly road, make sure the company guarantees a window seat for everyone.
And check exactly what is included and what is extra - recently some of the
Tanzania safaris in particular seem to be making some of the game drives
'optional extras'.
If there are 4 of you, you might be able to get a vehicle to yourselves.
Kuoni certainly offers a good range of safari options, and will do
'tailor-made' as well.
I'd recommend Sunvil if you are thinking of 'not Kenya' - I dont think they
do Kenya.

--
Rita Daggett