Old June 3rd, 2015, 11:13 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Jack Campin

Default Mosquitoes in Italy

Was surprised some years ago when we had to have malaria tablets
for Turkey (Side)! But never a bite.

We've been to Side a few years ago, but didn't need any Malaria-
prophylaxis.
I also can't recall getting bitten there. But I went in October,
maybe it's worse in summer.

Malaria control in Turkey seems to have worked, the eastern
Mediterranean coast (Adana to Antakya, at least) was certainly
classed as a malaria risk a few years ago. It's going to be
difficult for them to do any better, with America's proxy war
making it impossible for the Syrian government to conduct any
public health campaigns.

The worst mosquito infestation I have ever encountered was at
Yusufeli in north-east Turkey. The whole area was irrigated
and the little *******s bred in the channels. Which were
populated by frogs feeding on them. At night the noise of
fat, happy well-fed frogs was like planes taking off at an
airport. No malaria risk though.