Old August 3rd, 2004, 09:12 PM
Nige

Default GOA (India) advice sought

"Newbie" wrote in message
An American couple would be in Pune in late August. From Pune, we
would like to visit Goa for a few (3-4?) days, and then go to Bombay.

What is the best way of going about this:

1. Should we simply fly to Goa, find a hotel and go around on our own?

2. Should we fly to Goa but then find a hotel package? Which hotel
would you recommend?

3. Should we try to find a package in Pune itself which includes a
flight to Goa, hotel/sightseeing there and then a flight to Bombay?

Any advice from experienced Americans, Indians, and others will be
greatly appreciated.

I went to Goa from Mumbai in late January. This time of year is very popular
with Europeans escaping the winter. August is probably still in the low
season. The monsoon hits this coast in June and peters out in Sept. So
don't think the hotels will be packed. I flew into Dabolim airport and there
is a board with all the taxi fares as you come out. The airport is a long
hike from anywhere. One thing is certain, if you don't already have a hotel
then the taxi driver will find one ! The choice is therefore where to stay.
I went to a place called Candolim where there are a few places to stay and
one nice resort for sedate travellers called Taj Holiday Village which is
probably the priciest place in this part of coastline. It's next to the Taj
Aguada which has been going for a long time.
http://www.tajhotels.com/resort/taj_goa/new.htm Nearer the airport
marginally is a place called Calangute which has plenty of hotels and used
to be a sort of hippie haven. Further along the coast strip is Baga beach
where again there are places to stay. There are plenty of other places in
Goa but that's my 2 rupee worth. but watch the weather forecast and track
the monsoon!