Old January 31st, 2012, 05:34 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Island Grampa

Default Brave move?

"-hh" wrote in message
On Jan 30, 12:46 pm, "Island Grampa" wrote:
YMMV. Given that this wasn't the first large cruise ship to sink
within the past decade, what's IMO conspicuously absent from any of
the responses is any discussion of the consequences of a list
(lifeboat deployment failure modes).

-hh

Please, name me even ONE large cruise ship that has "sunk" in the last
decade. There was one small cruise ship off South Africa several years
ago
but, other than that, I don't think there has even been a total
evacuation
of any ship.

The South African one was the one I was primarily thinking of, but
there was also the MS Explorer which sank off of Antartica in November
2007.

Here's a website that has a list:

http://www.cruisejunkie.com/Sunk.html

Plus there's been other adverse events on smaller cruiseships too that
aren't on this list that I've personally been aware of:

2008 - CruiseWest "Spirit of Glacier Bay" - grounding in AK (no
casualties)
2007 - CruiseWest "Spirit of Nantucket" - grounding in VA (no
casualties)

and this one in particular, as I know one of the three survivors:

Oct 2001 - Peter Hughes "Wave Dancer" - capsize/sink: 71% onboard
died

FYI, the distribution of the deaths were 85% of the customers (17 of
20) and 37% of the crew (3 of 8).

-hh

All small ships! You said "Given that this wasn't the first large cruise
ship to sink
within the past decade"

--
Tobieon an Island in the Pacific