Old December 29th, 2012, 11:31 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Dan Stephenson

Default BBC: Manchester Airport's body scanners scrapped

On 2012-10-02 18:21:31 -0500, Jack Campin said:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england...ester-19620981

I certainly didn't mind them, but do remember at least one poster here
who objected to them. I suppose some people prefer being touched up...

Count me in that number. I am not about to get zapped with backscatter
X-rays.

Skin cancer is the high-profile risk. I have a more immediate one:
I have morphoea (do a Google image search; mine is more widespread
over the body than any case I can find a picture of that way, but
not particularly deep). One of the few things known to set it off is
radiotherapy. For such a rare disease nobody will ever investigate
the implications of airport scanner radiation. I am not willing to
experiment with anything that might make it worse.

Does your dermotologist have any information on the radio frequency
scanners that are oftentime replacing the x-ray scanners? They only
cook you skin-deep!

And the Transportation Safety Administration (TSA) agents are no good
for information. They robotically tell me the RF machines don't emit
radiation! Come on.

My own doctor does not know of enough research to draw conclusions on
the MMW RF scanners, maybe yours does?

Dan Stephenson
http://stepheda.com
Travel pages for Europe and the U.S.A. (and New Zealand too)