Old November 7th, 2003, 09:15 PM
Chuckles

Default Travelling to India with a laptop?

"Rohit" wrote in news:2EJqb.22$J3.157@testbox:

1. Would the power supply for US laptops work in India? Do I need to
buy additional equipment?

Other people have said yes, but you should read the label on your power
brick. Much more reliable than posting here. If it takes 220v, you need
just a plug converter, a $1 passive device to give you the round pins
they use in india. Warning: the power sockets come in two pin sizes and
three spacings, so take a variety (they are all round pins, however).

2. Would my 56k modem and rj11 jack work in Indian telephone lines?

Re modem, others have said yes but the answer is maybe. It depends on
local phone line quality, but also some modems are more finicky than
others. My Dell laptop modem would disconnect within a few minutes; I
added an external 'world modem", loading CMOS settings specifically for
India, and this worked much better,

Re the jack, others have said yes but the answer is probably not. Most
home phones are hardwired, and as for offices, it depends on the office.
Take one of those kits that contain screwdrivers and phone cords ending
in alligator clips.