Old September 29th, 2003, 03:33 PM
Mxsmanic

Default How to buy a French registered car as a non-resident

Simon writes:

I called the local prefecture to ask about this and was
told that if I was resident in UK I could only register
a car in UK - not France. Is this true?

Yes.

I imagine there must be many foreigners driving French
cars in France without getting foreign number plates
on them?

Yes, but they are residents, not visitors.

- Do you always need to re-register a 2nd hand car when
you buy it?

In France, if you intend to drive it, you need to register it.

Or only if you will be keeping it in a different departement from
where it was previously registered?

You have to change the ownership of the car in any case (and thus the
registration). However, the plates don't have to change if you are not
in a different department from the previous owner.

- If I do need to re-register it with the prefecture, will I be able
to do so in France using my British passport? I can provide proof of
address etc in France as required as I have had a house here for
almost a year. Is there any other documentation they will require?

You'll have to call them and ask, or try http://www.service-public.fr,
which probably has details.