Old September 29th, 2003, 08:47 PM
Colin McGARRY

Default How to buy a French registered car as a non-resident

On 29 Sep 2003 07:00:36 -0700, (Simon) wrote:

I live in France for part of the year, but am still a British

resident
for all official purposes (tax etc), so don't have a Carte de Sejour.

I want to buy a (2nd hand) French registered car to use and keep in
France. However I am confused about how this works. I called the
local prefecture to ask about this and was told that if I was

resident
in UK I could only register a car in UK - not France. Is this true?
I imagine there must be many foreigners driving French cars in France

There is a scheme whereby a visitor can buy a new car and not pay the
VAT. The car has red plates with TT in between the numbers. 'Transit
Temporaire) I don't know what the modalities are. Ask the prefecture
again. A civil servant will only answer the question you asked.

www.cpmac.com/normandy.html
peterann2 (at) yahoo.fr