Old November 4th, 2003, 05:29 PM
Dave Patterson

Default Best safari deals/options in SA?

So'n'so wrote:

We are thinking of going to S.A. in March. Would like to fly in/out of
Jo'burg/Capetown (alternately in one, out the other).

FYI - Both British Airways and Lufthansa (maybe others, also)
have great deals right now good through March. Available through
consolidators. Not every flight every day, because this is still
high season for European travel to South Africa - but be sure and
check around.. seats are still available. How do I know?
We are consolidators for Lufthansa for LAX, DEN, SFO & PHX.

These fares are good to all Africa destinations, incidentally, as well
as the Mideast. And seats are VERY available to Kenya, for example,
on BA. (Class of service is 'S' on BA).

Have only 2 weeks,
and friends want to go to winelands and garden route a bit. What would be
the best 5-7 days on safari that wouldn't cost huge sums?

This is tougher. Western currencies are so weak against the SA rand
that nothing moderately priced is available. Plus, low season doesn't
start till later in the year. You would be fortunate to find a safari for
$500-$600 per day per couple. Plus the cost of getting there.

Here is a place that would be pretty good, though, and
not so expensive:
http://www.bushwisesafaris.com/menu.htm

And here is a web page that has a lot of moderately priced
safari lodges, camps. My suggestion: look at them on this
page, and try to contact them directly if you see one that
interests you. (Google search for their own web page).

Don't discount the option of renting a car to get from Johannesburg
to the game reserves. Roads are terrific, and it's about a 5-hour drive
to most anywhere you would stay.