Old October 8th, 2003, 12:47 PM
Frank Slootweg

Default Travel Insurance - who do you recommend?

Ed Barron wrote:
On 07 Oct 2003 13:17:49 GMT, Frank Slootweg
wrote:

[deleted]
Well, my travel+cancellation insurance is AUD$ 130 per person (all
year, worldwide coverage, maximum 60 days per trip). I would not call
that "the most expensive travel policy" and it *did* cover all the
helicopter/ambulance/plane rides and driver (to drive our car home (1000
km), etc. for our Austrian (not Australian) hiking accident. Total cost
some AUD$ 50-60 *thousand* (including work-related stuff, some 70-80K).
Yes, I could survive such a bill, but I wouldn't call it "statistically
you'll be just fine" by a long stretch.

I.e. do *not* think about the plain (direct) medical stuff, *that* is
probably covered by other insurance, but look at the 'indirect' stuff,
which, as shown above, can be very, very expensive.

OTOH, I agree that one should look carefully at what you insure and
that you don't have unneccessary or/and double insurance.

That sounds to be very good. What company offers this cover?

It is a Dutch company, Interpolis. They are associated with our bank,
Rabo bank. AFAIK, Rabo bank has branches in Oz (AFAICT, you're living in
Oz).

To be Frank :-), the cancellation coverage has a maximum, EUR 1500
(about AUD$ 2500) per person per trip, so for the two of us that is AUD$
5000. Of course our trips to/in Oz are more expensive than that and the
payout would be relative to the maximum, i.e. if our trip costs for
example AUD$ 10000 and we would have cancellation fees of for example
AUD$ 4000, the payout would only be AUD$ 2000 ((5000/10000) * 4000). But
to come back to Raffi's point, *that* is an amount I can live with.