Old November 18th, 2003, 12:11 PM
Hans-Georg Michna

Default Safari Photography

Liz wrote:

In message
Hans-Georg Michna wrote:

"Rydale" wrote:

One of the most common points I edit for is catchlights in the eye. If a
bird flicks its head round just right, you can get that magical point of
light which brings the whole thing to life.

ever thought of photoshopping them in? :-)

hollow laugh
One of my slides which is doing quite well in comps has a bird feeding its
chick and both have highlights.

At one comp, one of the other entrants said, "Och, Liz attacked her slide
with a pin".

Such a thought had *never* occurred to me, but apparently it's an old trick.

Liz,

I once took a slide of a vulture on a tree from the side. The
picture looked good, but the vulture's face was rather dark, and
the eyes were invisible.

So I did just that, poked into the vulture's eye with a needle.
The result was a tad more than I wanted. The vulture now has a
cyan-colored glowing eye that keeps surprising the audience no
end. :-)

I also have photos of dik-diks and several other animals with
glowing eyes, but those were caused by the flash that I used in
some situations, occasionally even in bright sunlight. These
pictures look eerie.

Hans-Georg

--
No mail, please.