Old November 28th, 2008, 11:11 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,uk.politics.misc,rec.travel.usa-canada,rec.travel.australia+nz,rec.sport.rugby.union
kodok

Default A-Z of English words with surprising origins

Etymology is a difficult art ..
IMHO
There was no such thing as Hotchpotch in Norman Law, which was still
part of the curriculum
in the school of Law in CAEN in the fifties. Attended by a handful of
Guernsey and Jersey future
lawyers.
There is a HOCHEPOT, Flemish stew, still served in Flanders, Belgium
and Northern France.
I thought is came forom "huspot" (housepot) but it seems to be "Huts
pot".
"Hutsen" mean "to shake", like the French "Hocher".

Mandarin is not a Chinese word, granted (Guan or Quan)
I do not see how it would come from Sweden .
When did Swedish navigators reach South East Asia. ?
I would be inclined to think it comes from Portuguese.
Mandare, from a latin verb, means "to order", "to give orders", which
is what a "Quan" was doing. .

Yogourt : is it Turkish or Bulgarian ?
Bulgaria was part of Turkey, they are both part of Europe now, so it
does not make much difference.