Old January 1st, 2009, 07:17 AM posted to aus.tv.digital,rec.travel.australia+nz
John H

Default DVB-T + Analog TV on laptop while travelling?

Hi Frank,
Well,
Firstly re the analogue side of that device....is it compatibale with
Australian Pal system, or for US NTSC system.
(I cant determine where you are located), thus may not or will not work in
Aust if not PAL analogue tuner.
From their website I cant work out if the device is multi system
accessible/selectable or not. ie PAL, & NTSC etc

re Rural areas.
Most have reasonable analogue, but not all, without a High antenna system as
transmitters can be up to 100Kms from where you are.
Some have digital access from transmitters that also are a long way from
where you are.

eg I have a son on a farm 350Kms Sth East from Adelaide in Sth Aust. and
they get local transmitter of analogue about 80kms away with a 40ft mast
plus antenna boosters otherwise only get local translator abou 52Kms away.

Their Digital channels are also coming from the 100Km distant transmitters,
but fade in and out in day and work reasonably at night with the 40ft mast
and antenna boosters.
So what level of signal you would get with a USB or similar receiver into a
PC remains to be seen and will greatly depend upon where you are in the
regional area(s).

Re outback.
Most outback places have just about zero signal for ordinary terrestial TV
unless thay have a satellite dish and get signal from satellite, which has
the free to air stations re-transmitted on them.

So the whole situation could/would be very hit & miss.

Around major cities there should be no problem, but that isnt where you
appear to be going.

John H

"Frank Slootweg" wrote in message
.home.nl...
[Crossposted to aus.tv.digital and rec.travel.australia+nz.]

On our next trip to/in Australia, mainly in rural/outback areas, we
will be taking a mini-laptop with us.

I was wondering if it would be worth our while to buy a small (USB)
DVB-T (Digital Video Broadcasting Terrestial) tuner, probably a combined
DVB-T/Analog one, probably a Pinnacle PCTV Hybrid Pro Stick [1].

Would such a stick/tuner be useful in rural/outback areas, i.e.
small(er) towns?

Would there likely be DVB-T, or analog TV, or both?

Would the supplied small rod antenna be sufficient?

Any other comments or/and suggestions?

Thanks in advance for any and all response.

[1]
http://www.pinnaclesys.com/PublicSite/uk/Products/Consumer+Products/PCTV+Tuners/PCTV+Analog_Digital+PVR/PCTV+Hybrid+Pro+Stick+%28320e%29.htm