Old December 5th, 2003, 03:26 PM
DALing

Default Travelling to India with a laptop?

just a cable with the proper ends (the power supply input is standard and
you can buy an adapter to make the US style cable fit the 220V outlet).
remember to switch the voltage (on the power supply) before you turn it on
"Aniket V." wrote in message
OK,
I have the box saying "110V-240V" what do I buy next to get it working out

there???

-Aniket-

"JMS" wrote in message

"Rohit" wrote in message
Hi I am generally unfamiliar with laptops. But I was thinking of

travelling
with an old 486DX laptop to India. I need to use word, outlook, and

FTP to
transfer files from my laptop to internet.

My questions:

1. Would the power supply for US laptops work in India? Do I need to

buy
additional equipment?

You need to take a look at your power supply (probably that little box
attached to your power cable). This should state the power rating. If it

is
rated at 110V-240V then you should be OK, otherwise you will need

another
power supply.

2. Would my 56k modem and rj11 jack work in Indian telephone lines?

Yes it will but don't expect that you will get anywhere nearthe 56K you
currently enjoy.

3. Finally what sort of protective casing should I take to put the

laptop
in, as I'll be travelling through trains and perhaps buses?

If you are going to have the laptop stored with other luggage (and I

suggest
that you don't) then you should probably get some hard cased bag to

house
your laptop, otherwise any case is fine as 'carry-on'.

Thanks
Rohit