Old September 1st, 2004, 12:02 PM
Icono Clast

Mark Brader wrote:
Oddly enough, this came up in alt.usage.english not long ago. According
to the place names database at http://geonames.usgs.gov, there are only
3 examples of this kind among "populated places" in the entire US; the
other two, tiny places both, are Maine and Wyoming. In the analogous
database for Canada at http://geonames.nrcan.gc.ca, Quebec is the only
example.

If you look at counties, there are 7 with the same name as the state
containing them: Arkansas, Hawaii, Idaho, Iowa, New York, Oklahoma,
and Utah. I don't think there are any examples in Canada, but I can't
confirm that right now because the database is down.

That overlooks Oregon's Owahee(sp) County.

Using data from multiple sources, Dan Tilque has constructed an
even longer list which can be found on his web site
http://www.nwlink.com/~dtilque.

Un San Francisqueño en San Francisco
http://geocities.com/dancefest/ http://geocities.com/iconoc/
ICQ: http://wwp.mirabilis.com/19098103 IClast at SFbay Net