Old December 7th, 2004, 03:59 PM
Dave Patterson

Marc Lurie wrote:

Hi Joel,

I might offend several regulars to this NG with what I'm about to say,
but I've got a thick skin, and I can handle the repercussions :-)

Marc, as you may have noticed, we are US safari operators with a
home in South Africa.. and since most of our business has been in
east Africa, I can speak from our experiences in both parts of
the continent.

4) I believe that South Africans are, in general, more friendly than
the east Africans that you're likely to meet.

Not more friendly.. really warm and friendly, yes.
But the Kenyan people, particularly, are the best we see in
the tourism industry in making our clients feel welcome.

5) On this point I stand to be corrected, but I think that South
Africa will be cheaper to visit than Tanzania or Kenya.

In the days when we got 10 rand for a dollar, certainly. But not now.
Prices have remained stable in east Africa, while prices (to anyone
spending US dollars) have risen dramatically in South Africa.
The actual exchange rate today for tourists at an exchange window
in South Africa is (12/7) is 5.5 rand to the US dollar, and a commission
is then deducted from that.

My experience is that accomodation and meals of similar quality
are 50% to 100% more expensive in East Africa than in South Africa..
eg. you can stay at a 5-star hotel in Johannesburg for the same price
as a 3-star in Nairobi.

I wish this was still the case, but (see above) exchange rates
have changed the landscape. The rates to me (as a tour
operator) are $ 160 per night more for the Grace in
Rosebank, and $90 per night more for the Sandton Sun,
than the rates I pay for the Serena in Nairobi.
You have to step down to the Crowne Plaza in Sandton
to find an equivalent rate to the Nairobi Serena.

On the other hand, restaurants in South Africa are still great
values and amazing experiences for those of us from the US.
No 'cookie-cutter' meals at most of them. Wonderful food
both in the preparation and the presentation.