Old July 24th, 2010, 09:41 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises,rec.travel.europe
martin

Default How to Avoid Pickpockets

On 24/07/10 08:41, billzz wrote:
On Jul 23, 8:55 pm, Anonymouse wrote:
Hi,

I use an inside the shirt passport big money pouch for credit/debit
cards, big money, passport, stripped airline tickets.

I have a cloth money-belt that looks just like a USGI Navy Blue belt
that I put 1000$ in emergency cash in just in case.

no wallet.

casual money (food, drinks, admissions, etc) in 1 pocket and more
serious money in other pocket.

and on my day bag with camera, maps, etc in it I put a safety pin
through the pulls just to make it harder to dip into.

ttyl

hackamorehttp://www.hackamoretravel.com

I am guessing that this is some advertisement.

The real answer is to not look like a tourist.

Wear a Burberry trench coat that has so many pockets that no one would
have any chance of finding anything.

Look like a Mafia hit man and not a schnook.

Unlike my chorus director, who went to Paris, and the guy in front of
him "tripped," on the Paris Metro escalator (whatever) and he fell,
and the guy behind him fell on him, and when he got up his wallet was
missing.

I've been to Paris a few times, before and after my innocent chorus
director, and I never go anywhere with anyone around me. If I even
see anyone heading for the ramp, with me, then I circle around. And
if anyone were to fall in front of me, in the Paris Metro, I would
stomp all over them, and I would get away.

The real answer is to keep distance.

Avoid behaving and looking like an American tourist.