Old July 15th, 2004, 12:59 AM
Not the Karl Orff

Default Mandazi recipe

In article ,
Pat Anderson wrote:

If Michael is reading this-- OK I got the edition number wrong!
For Karl: If we were Swahili people we would be cutting up pieces of
coconut, either grating it or using a machine, placing the coconut
flesh in a bowl and covering it with hot water. Leave for thirty
minutes and strain off the liquid into another bowl. This first take off
will be very creamy. Cover with water again-- this will be much thinner.
Use for recipes. I have done this in Kenya when making prawn curry. It
is more time consuming than opening a tin!

So true. I hope that culinry "short cuts" have not come to Zanzibar
yet, as the have to many countries.

NB. Checking a cookbook I note that white flour is used.
I have to thank you for starting this thread, it has been very
interesting. How about some samosas?

Hardly worth making where I am. Have some Indian sweet(!) shops that
used to sell veggie ones for 8 for CAD 1 (about USD 0.75, GBP 0.40).
It's doubled to 4 for CAD 1 now. Hardly worth making at that price.