Old November 24th, 2005, 07:03 AM posted to rec.travel.africa

Default A question or two from a newbie here

Hi there,

My suggestion is that you don't cancel the trip.

If they do actually check the ticket and see a discrepancy in your
name, they will also look at other aspects.

If I were you I would carry two things:

1) A letter from your employer (if you have one) stating that you are
an employee in good standing, and that you will be returi=ning to your
place of employment after your three week holiday.

2) A letter certified by your local police station (or better still,
written or confirmed by the South African Embassy nearest your home)
that your given name and your used name are different, but that both
are applicable.

Immigration officials weigh up each case by certain criteria. If
you're a middle-aged businessmantravelling with your wife, and you
have a company and family in Europe then they will see you as far
less of an illegal immigration risk than, for example, a Somali
citizen with only one small piece of luggage, no tourist reservations,
no job etc.

I'm fairly certain that, with the two letters as above, you will be
able to explain your way through immigration without too much
difficulty.

BTW it is the responsibility of the carrier to ensure that you have
all the necessary requirements for entry into the country of
destination. That means that SAA is laible to return you to the US if
immigration refuses you entry.

Are you going to be in Johannesburg at all? If so, please let me know,
and I'll be more than happy to make some suggestions about things to
do/see while you're here.

Regards,

Marc - Joahannesburg