Old January 8th, 2004, 08:05 AM
Eric Edwards

Default Tanzania Sugested Routes of Travel ....got 4 weeks to play with

On Wed, 07 Jan 2004 18:20:19 GMT, BAC wrote:
Tanzania Suggested Routes of Travel. I plain to go to Tanzania for 4 =
weeks, Feb to March. I'm open to a travel route with an end point in =
Zanzibar for a week to work on the tan and do some diving. I think I'll =
have to bag the Killi climb...don't think my knee will make it. I'm open =
to suggestions. Also....how bad are the little rains in Feb-March, will =
they pose a travel problem.

I spent almost 4 weeks in Tanzania starting in late January of 2002.
It rained rather hard one day in Kigoma, Western Tanzania but, other
than that, rain was of little consequence and never presented a travel
problem.

In case you are wondering, the attraction in Kigoma is the chimpanzees
at Gombe Stream. Highly recommended, especially, if you are going to
spend 4 weeks in Tanzania.

If you don't want to go to Zambia, the only really straightforward way
to get to and from Kigoma is via the Central Line, starting from Dar Es
Salaam.

If you take the MV Liemba from Kigoma to Zambia, there is transport to
Kasama. Kasama is on the Tazara rail line which runs to Dar Es Salaaam.

In total you might end up with something line this:

Nairobi - Arusha (I'm guessing. What entry point did you have in mind?)
Arusha - Dar Es Salaam (maybe stopping Moshi)
Dar Es Salaam - Kigoma
Kigoma - Mpulugu, Zambia
Mpulugu - Kasama - Dar Es Salaam (perhaps stopping at Selous between
Mbeya and Dar Es Salaam)

It is probably possible to get from Liemba's last Tanzania stop overland
to Mbeya, picking up Tazara without venturing into Zambia. However, the
roads in the area are rather limited.

I will also carry a Digi camera...how tough =
is it to find an outlet for rechargeable batteries??

A lot depends on your style of travel. On the budget end, you are not
often going to have outlets in the rooms. However, any place with a
bar or cooking facilities should have outlets. In 2002, I went on a low
budget overlander to the see the Gorillas in Rwanda. One traveler in
our group had a video camera. He was able to recharge everywhere we
went, including the tiny border village of Kesoro. (It's the kind of
the place where they run cattle through the main street of town).

--
Photos and travelogues from Africa and Southeast Asia: http://www.exile.org