Old June 19th, 2012, 02:28 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Dan Stephenson

Default Grand Western Loop - ideas?

On 2012-06-18 17:27:44 -0500, - Bobb - said:

"Dan Stephenson" wrote in message
I like beauty drives, fun drives, mountains and lakes.

Have you encountered some place along this general path, that was
pecularly regrettable? Such as someplace usually dangerous or
otherwise a place to avoid?

Looks like THIS was a spot to avoid:
http://web.mac.com/stepheda/Western_...y_2012.html#19

Heh that is true. This was the drove north out of Santa Cruz. I also
drove through Seattle at rush hour (sigh) to go to Edmonds to see if
Rick Steves was at his shop for a visit and a thank-you (he wasn't).

I was able to avoid bad Los Angeles traffic.

The drove over the Mojave Desert was unpleasant, but unavoidable to
reach the Pacific Coast Highway from Las Vegas. Another unavoidable
and most miserable drove was driving home from Amarillo on highway 287.
A bunch of nother, interspersed with small towns and speed traps.
Before the town of Electra was a huge billboard: "WARNING ELECTRA IS A
SPEED TRAP" or something to that effect.

I generally did not encouter seedy areas, fortunately.

--
Dan Stephenson
http://web.mac.com/stepheda