Old June 2nd, 2004, 10:00 AM
B Vaughan

Default Canadian flag on the backback myth

On Tue, 01 Jun 2004 23:02:17 GMT, Van wrote:

That is no urban myth as I have personally witnessed it and was told by
the Americans that they get treated better when the Europeans think we
are from Canada. It is not our fault that we have a better rep than
Americans.

Look, I'm an American who lives in Europe and I can assure you that
most Europeans would think that walking around with any sort of flag
pasted on your backpack labels you as an idiot. In the second place,
don't think most Europeans recognize the Canadian flag when they see
it. I agree with the other poster who said they probably think it's a
marijuana leaf. I have seen convincing evidence (quiz shows) to
indicate that many Europeans don't even recognize the other European
flags.

Even though I have never posed as a Canadian, I have always been
treated with the greatest courtesy and kindness throughout Europe. The
only thing you need to guarantee a good experience in Europe is good
manners.
Barbara Vaughan
My email address is my first initial followed by my surname at libero dot it