Old January 30th, 2007, 07:17 AM posted to rec.travel.africa
Corné

Default ?How about 30 days in South Africa starting next month?

So four big questions to start with:

Out of a 32 day trip, is a week in a condo in Johannesburg way too
much?

Jo'burg can been seen in 2 days. Remember there's a lot of crime, so don't
go downtown. Sandton, Soweto and Gold Reef City are worth a visit.

Where should I stay on Johannesburg - Downtown, Sandton or else where?

Sandton is very safe and luxury. Big shopping malls there!

Out of a 32 day trip, is a week in a condo in Cape Town way too much?

No, although crime rate in Cape Town is high (in the townships), there a
safe areas and interresting places to visit. A week is good. You van go to
Robben Island (visit Mandela's prison), Table Mountain, The Waterfront, etc.
Really a nice place to spend some days and relax. Don't miss the city tour,
and visiting the old dutch VOC gardens.

2-8 and 2-9 Leave Washington and arrive Johannesburg.

2-9 to 2-16 Johannesburg Condo rental. see City Sights, Sun City,
Pretoria & ????. Auto 1,000 km

2-16 to 2-20 On to Kruger National Park and Around the park. Auto
1,000km

Visit Letaba, Lower Sabie and Olifants camp. They are worht a visit.

2-20 to 2-23 Out of Kruger National Park and on to Durban. Auto
600km

In this province you might consider going to Umhlanga rocks, and do the
Battlefield route (the Michael Chain story)

For the rest it looks really good. Remember the comments I made are my
personal ideas, as I like old cities, culture and nature.

Enjoy this beautiful country and remind not to speed, as traffic cops are
every where. If you are fined ask for an offical ticket and tell them that
you will pay at the Magistrate Court. Most probably you can get away with it
with R50....

Regards from sunny SA,

Corné.

www.amukela.com