Old September 15th, 2003, 10:56 AM
Jason

Default Buying/using pre-paid SIM cards

On Sat, 13 Sep 2003 12:51:34 +1000, Daniel Bowen wrote:

From my Telstra (postpaid) phone, it works to my friends in the UK,
including when they are roaming elsewhere in Europe and the US.

I had the same experience as Frank trying from a Telstra Communic8 phone
to the UK. The only time it did work was when the recipient was also
roaming in Oz, probably on Telstra.

But you really need to check, either with the phone companies concerned (to
ask if they have reciprocal SMS delivery arrangements) or by trying it.
Theoretically it should work any phone to any phone, but this is not always
the case.

But it seems that even if they do have an agreement, and trying to get
this information out of mobile phone companies isn't easy, it still might
not work.

I think I would probably try using Optus. SMS messages when roaming on
them worked back to the UK and they have a bigger network than Vodaphone.
I think Virgin is also a possibility as they use the Optus network.

And in answer to the original question. You don't need a triband phone for
Oz. They don't use the 1900 Mhz band. This is only used in North and South
America. I don't think they use the 1800 Mhz band much in Oz either. J

Jason