Old March 10th, 2004, 01:26 AM
Irwell

Default What was your worst TOUT experience?

On Tue, 09 Mar 2004 20:41:19 GMT, Rita wrote:

On 9 Mar 2004 11:24:06 -0800, (Bradwell Jackson)
wrote:

Please share with us what your worst tout experience was. I must say
that, for myself, my worst experience was at the pyramids in Giza. I
thought that I was already seasoned to deal with them after having
been in India, but it seems to me that the pyramids are the place
where all the very best touts go to after they have graduated from
lesser venues. I can just picture a tout convention where the members
sit around and dream wistfully of the "big show" in Giza.

Bradwell Jackson

My best tout experience was at the Rome rail station some years
back. We arrived in the evening, having decided mid trip to go to
Rome rather than Venice. Had no guidebook for Rome, couldn't
find tourist bureau, tired, frustrated, looking at hotels listed on
boards in station. Approached by hotel tout, who showed photos
of luxury hotel rooms. Kept saying, no, too expensive. Finally got
down to our price range and he said hotel was close to station.
Even carried my bag there. Hotel was great. Offered to tip tout
as he had also recommended a great restaurant nearby, but he
said, no, he received commission and did not accept our tip.
As they say, any tout in a storm

Have had good tout experiences in Milan, Athens
and Amsterdam, all for hotel rooms.
Also in Athens trips to places like Delphi can
be cheaper from the touts, still go on the regular
coach tours like the other tourists, for less money.