Old January 18th, 2005, 10:48 AM
eeo

"Marior" wrote in message
news:Yz2Hd.107474$6l.24420@pd7tw2no...

This was possibly the worst bicycle excursion I've ever done. Raining all
day, cold at elevation, slippery surfaces, and 2000 rent a cars seemingly
trying to run you over amidst all the hairpin turns on a pretty narrow,
and
poor, road surface. FTR I've done many cycling trips around the world and
this one has nothing specific that I'd recommend. The view of course is
great all along on a clear day but you enjoy it more driving than on a
bike
where you're just trying to survive....If it was a dedicated cycling
trail,
and it should be, my opinion would be much different but its NOT and be
forewarned that you'll be fighting with inattentive, scenery watching,
drivers who are literally running you off the road all day. just my two
cents.

Well, if you are a "serious" biker, what are you doing on Maui? ...

In fact, why don't you come over to my isle. We'll take care of you real
quick. LOL

Now listen: if you are really into road biking, don't come to Hawaii.
Except for the Big Isle, you will only be courting death. Don't blame me.
I didn't design the road systems. I'm just stating the facts. But it does
amaze me that more and more I see these folks in their funky little outfits
and $2K bikes, peddling down Kam Hwy. With me, they're lucky. I'm a
patient man who drives slower than your Grandmother. But the guy behind
me...? It kind of reminds me of a friend I knew in graduate school. He was
studying Geology. He had this hilarious t-shirt that read: "Stop Plate
Tectonics!" That one still makes me chuckle...

And yes, the over-crowding is why they are talking about shutting the ride
down.

But, the views are incredible. And for the rest of us mere mortals: after
getting woken up at 3am to see those views, we don't want to have to peddle.