Old May 4th, 2009, 11:58 PM posted to alt.travel,rec.travel.usa-canada
- Bobb -[_2_]

Default trip from NE to DC

They changed the site and while "trying to find how it USED to look", I got
to see this:

http://www.hemispheresmagazine.com/3...shingtonDC.pdf

"- Bobb -" wrote in message
Do you think 4 days in DC is enough - see all the regular tourist stuff?
We are thinking of 2-3 days in Boston, 3 days in NYC, 1 days in
Philadelphia?
I prefer driving to the minimum. Any train I should look into?
For NE - any sight should I must see?
We love culture & museums, etc. Thank you.

Don't want to drive at all ? Amtrak has a 10 day trip: ( when you call
tell them - no Newport News,VA)

http://www.amtrak.com/servlet/Conten...=1080842092684

I just had this conversation with someone at a party this weekend.
I'd start with a schedule of "What's happening" in your destination town
for time frame you are considering. Do a google search and you'll stuff
sites this this:
http://www.washington.org/visiting/events-calendar That will guide your
dates.

If you love museums , you COULD spend a lot more than 3-4 days in Wash DC.
I can spend a day in each Smithsonian Museum
http://www.si.edu/visit/

Hotels downtown - not only pricey ( and pay to park?) but depending upon
'what's in town' there may be no rooms available.

Let tour busses do the driving. ( you could EASILY spend hours commuting
in D.C. traffic) All of the hotels will know about tours. If you want
to "do it yourself", I like Old Town Trolleys - especially for Day One:
http://www.trolleytours.com/washingt...tour-works.asp
http://www.trolleytours.com/washington-dc/ ( Don't be surprised at
sound - turn down your sound)

Old Town Trolley is in Boston too. ( 6 cities)
http://www.trolleytours.com/
Off/on whenever you like and trolley comes by about every 20 minutes.

NY times travel section has good info on many sities, check each town
there - note the DATE of the article - might be old - but main suggestions
probably still apply to a first time visitor. Example:
http://travel.nytimes.com//2006/11/2...l/26hours.html

Another site I use is:
http://www.hemispheresmagazine.com/c...-perfect-days/
read each town - pick the highlights if limited time.
Recently updated - now slideshows, interactive maps.
Here's recent Wash DC story:
http://www.hemispheresmagazine.com/2...washington-dc/

If you do not want train AND do not like driving, then arrive in off hours
and stay near "wherever you decide that you want to visit" and walk. Same
thing in Philadelphia. Just stay near historic area .

I stopped there a few months ago ( Comfort Inn downtown) and thought I'd
play tourist ( American history buff). At the Franklin Museum that week -
a Star Wars exhibit : not what I had in mind so after a quick visit to
Independence Hall area, I left town. Lousy (no) planning on my part - but
I was driving back from FLA and was just 'winging it'.

Enjoy.

"A. Wright" wrote in message
Thank you. We are part of the boomer generation. Now thinking the last
week of October to the first week of November.
Do you think 4 days in DC is enough - see all the regular tourist stuff?
We are thinking of 2-3 days in Boston, 3 days in NYC, 1 days in
Philadelphia?
I prefer driving to the minimum. Any train I should look into?
For NE - any sight should I must see?
We love culture & museums, etc. Thank you.

"TheNewsGuy(Mike)" wrote in message
A. Wright wrote:
We are from California. We are thinking to take a sight seeing trip
from
NE to DC, stopping at the major cities. Can you please tell me when is
the off peak seasons this fall? We are thinking taking the train, but
rent a car if must. We have been to NYC some 20 years ago, but never
been
to Boston, Pitt & DC. Are there any must-sees for mature folks? Thank
you
kindly.

I have been to DC twice and will go anytime we are in the area. If
walking around is okay (how "mature" are you?) you can spend a lot of
time
walking the mall area, and the Smithsonian buildings are worth days of
visits, in my mind. Depends on what your interests are - You should
tell
us your time frame and your interests. If you haven't seen NE colours
in
the fall, be sure to make that part of your trip, too.

Sawyer Nicknames - http://sawyer.xtreemhost.com/
Seinfeld Lists - http://seinfeld.xtreemhost.com/