Old December 8th, 2004, 12:51 AM

Joel

Can you give us an idea (month) of when you can travel?

We need to narrow down the country and parks a bit before I can be more
specific. The questions you ask vary considerably between parks and
lodges/camps. For example, I will certainly fly-in to Kleins Camp,
Grumeti Camp or the Governors Camps and depend on them to drive me.
They have open vehicles which is great and their guides know the areas
around the camps best. And they often put only 2 people in a vehicle -
no need to pay surcharges.

But I will not do this at many other lodges. Lodge vehicles are often
"out of commission" with various excuses so they can fill each with
tourists! It will be impossible to get exclusive use - even if you
reserved months ahead. The 2004 jul-sep period in Tanzania was a zoo.
Serena Hotels were overbooked and with stranded tourists everywhere
their vehicles were tied up while they drove people around - not to see
wildlife, but to find places to stay!

Some of the better tented camps have their own safari operations and
will pick you up and drive you around the parks just like independent
outfitters. During peak times, this may be the only way to get you into
their camps at prime locations!