Old December 8th, 2004, 02:35 PM
Rita Daggett

The lions will rest, but in the afternoons they
will start to position themselves - just look where the Big Cat Diary
vehicles are going!

Talking of which - there was a programme on BBC TV recently about lions
being in trouble, and they quoted the famous Mara/Big Cat Diary prides as
examples. I cant recall the details now, but it was to do with pride
structures breaking down with no mature males to take them over.
When we were in Zambia last year we were told that the lions in Lower
Zambezi were 'in a mess' - there were too many young males; few females, and
if the females had cubs, one of the males would kill them, as there wasnt a
strong enough 'pride male' to defend them.
--
Rita Daggett