Old December 8th, 2004, 05:12 PM
Hans-Georg Michna

On 6 Dec 2004 15:52:16 -0800, "Joel" wrote:

2. I personally dislike tours, have never used one although I realize
that independent travel to game parks while possible may be self
defeating. Without knowledge of animal behavior and how to approach, I
may essentially be driving around for a week and spending a lot of
money to do so.

Joel,

that's only half true, but if you drive yourself, you can take a
ranger or guide along on your first few game drives. There's not
that much you need to know. Only a few species can be dangerous
to a car, and you need to know these and keep a certain
distance. Actually, just observing the behavior of the animals
should already tell you everything, because animals always give
clear signals when you begin to come too close.

As to finding the animals, you will find many anyway, but there
are a few that a ranger or guide can find more easily. Taking
somebody along is inexpensive. I still recommend to do some game
drives on your own.

You need a GPS, of course, since you don't know the places. You
can download routes and waypoints from
http://www.michna.com/gps.htm.

1. Is it advisable to use a tour company the first time around? What
do I gain or miss by doing so?

Third world countries have a few traps you can fall into. It all
depends on how much experience you have with travelling in
developing countries.

3. Is it possible to combine self touring on several days and hire
guides/driver for other days? Kruger has options like this where you
can pay to go a game drive.

Yes, that's possible. Have a look at www.rasuls.com for Kenya.

4. Would I better off spending several days on a private reserve?
Although it costs significantly more I might have a better experience.

Speaking for Kenya, I would tend to say no, particularly for a
first time trip. The big nature reserves like Samburu and Maasai
Mara are hard to beat.

5. Putting US State Department hyperbole aside, is there any validity
to their concerns about Kenya? Curious to here feedback from other
Americans who have traveled there within the last year.

I'm not American, but this should hardly matter. The concern, in
my view, is crime, not terrorism.

Please have a look at http://www.michna.com/kenya.htm, which is
a fairly complete guide to a self-drive safari. At least he
check lists should be useful even if you end up using the
services of a tour company.

Did I mention a GPS? Don't go without one and make yourself well
familiar with it before you leave.

Hans-Georg

--
No mail, please.