Old September 17th, 2003, 12:11 PM
Dan Stephenson

Default Travel pack or backpack?

In article ,
wrote:

Any thoughts on buying a "travel" pack.... vs using a
backpack and then carrying a cover that goes over it to
contain straps and such for when traveling by air or
train?

Im thinking Id like to buy some kind of backpack for
travel purposes..... like kicking around the US...or
even touring Europe.... but know little abt them.

If you would recommended a true travel pack..... what
brands and models are considered good units?

I have a 'travel pack' - also called a 'conversion pack'. It doesn't
have a cover, but rather the straps tuck into pockets so you can carry
it with a handle like a suitcase. I like this option because it
doesn't seem to loose anything to a full up backpack, but I believe it
has enabled me to get away with carrying it with me onto an airplane,
whereas a big thing on my back would have been flagged and put into the
infernal luggage handling systems.

I have a Northface Gailileo. I liked it because while the daypack that
comes with it zips onto the outside of the main pack, when removed both
day and main packs looks like they are supposed to be apart. Plus the
daypack has lots of pockets/features like I appreciate.

--
Dan Stephenson
Photos and movies from my 3-month European vacation: