Old June 16th, 2009, 03:12 PM posted to rec.travel.africa
Hans-Georg Michna

Default Camera for Masai Mara Safari in Africa

On Tue, 16 Jun 2009 04:07:20 +0100, pinklife wrote:

I'm going on a 3-day safari in Masai Mara in Africa and looking to buy
a new camera. Suggestions on which may be the most suitable for this
trip? Currently, I am leaning toward the Canon SX1 is which has 20x
zoom and can get me to 580mm. I like the idea that is less bulky than
bringing multiple lenses with an SLR. I am a photo enthusiast, but not
a professional photographer. Thoughts?? Thanks in advance!

I think you're on the right way. A long zoom is about the first
requirement I would have mentioned.

A 20x zoom is difficult to handle and most likely requires
something to lean the camera against, so test it thoroughly
before you go and take a bean bag along, so you can squeeze the
camera against it in the corner of an open car window.

If you are familiar with a polarizing filter, that may be the
only extra piece of equipment you need. If not, you might as
well forget about it, as it is somewhat difficult to understand
and use.

Hans-Georg